Monday, November 8, 2010

Gushing Over Wine: What else is new?

This past weekend I had the opportunity to visit a new bar in Hampden in Baltimore City called "13.5% Wine Bar".  It's located conveniently on the "Avenue" across from the Hon Bar.  The wine bar is very cozy and intimate with a wall of wines displayed in the dining area.  The wait staff is very knowledgeable and attentive.  The wines offered are reasonable in price and there are some tasty items to choose from.  Most interesting in the food selection was the pumpkin pizza.  This was very light and different and something I have been craving since.  I am a sucker for spanish wines so I started with a nice Tempranillo.  Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the wine and I forgot to write it down.  Unfortunately I did not see it listed on their online menu.  Anyway, it was delicious.  But I am always a fan of tempranillo and have yet to try one I haven't melted over.  The second selection I tasted was the Bodegas Tarima Monastrell 2009.  Aside from the fact that the label (seen above) is gorgeous, the wine itself was extremely memorable.  The first thing I noticed was the light fruity aroma with some floral notes.  The taste was that of licorice and chocolate.  Fabulous!  I am really hoping to find this in my local wine shop as its something I would love to have in my collection.  Another great thing about this wine is the fact that it was only $20 at the bar.  My guess is its much cheaper at the liquor store.  Great QPR (quality to price ratio) wine.  My pairing recommendation for this lovely wine is a nice pungent cheese, like blue cheese.  Needless to say, I think spanish wines are becoming my favorite very quickly.  At least this week they are.  Well, CHEERS and happy sipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment